Friday, January 9, 2009

The Fall of Homer

Before I start, I do realize that the following has probably been done a thousands times before but, as much as it pains me to say it, The Simpsons sucks now. Sucks fucking hard.

First of all,I'll freely admit that my shit is influenced more by the Simpsons then any other show. Being 15-16 when Seasons 4-9 aired over here completely redefined comedy for me and shaped my sense of humour down a completely different path.

But the show has been on the decline for some time now but I haven't really been able to put my finger on it, until tonight. I was watching an episode online where Homer framed Marge for drink driving or some bullshit. Here's the deal.

The decline in quality of The Simpsons is directly related to Homers descent from good natured boob to idiotic, mean spirited prick.

Remember at the end of the first "in the future" episode where Lisa visits a fortune teller? The one where she marries the English guy, Hugh and in the end Lisa runs up to Homer and he tells her about all the things he did at the fair that day as they walk into the distance?

Now compare that Homer to the reckless vehicle of negligent stupidity that ruins everything he touches and you see where its all started to go wrong. I don't care about Homer anymore and, in fact, I actively dislike him.

I think this decline started for me in the Episode in Season 10 where Homer was supposed to give his dad a kidney except his cowardice led him to leaving his father to die. The problem isn't his kidney. Homer has no heart anymore.

And it's killing the show.

UPDATE: Apparently there's a new Simpsons episode airing on Sunday where Homer suspects a Muslim man - get this! - of being a terrorist! Check out the description from the Sun website (hilarious parts of the upcoming episode highlighted below for convenience)

Tomorrow’s controversial episode of the TV cartoon sees Homer — catchphrase D’oh! — mispronounce Allah as Oliver and call the Koran the Corona after son Bart becomes pals with the Muslim man’s son Bashir.

Classic! Not so much scraping the bottom of the barrel as scraping the fucking Earths Mantle.

Oh what a gloriously hilarious misunderstanding!
Hopefully we'll all learn a little about religious tolerance while
enjoying a good laugh at Homer's nincompooped japery!

4 comments:

  1. Definitely agree about the Simpsons decline. they totally shaped my sense of humour too and there's nothing in life that can't be related to a Simpsons moment. But the episodes are now either bland or bizarre with laughs few and far between. Its a bit sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead right, Sarah. If it wasn't making the billions it makes annually I've a feeling it would have been put down long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some articles of interest to you:
    http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/comedy/simpsons/decade.htm

    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/362900/the_most_controversial_and_despised.html?cat=39

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice articles B. The first one is an excellent review of the show's decline. Man, fuck, Mike Scully. Fuck him right in the ear.

    ReplyDelete